Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Who Needs Sleep Anyway?






Ok, over the past year I have posted many wonderful things about my daughter. However, as everyone knows we all have our flaws, and right now Jenna's biggest flaw is her sleeping pattern. It al started around New Year's when Jenna got her first cold. It was then that we started cycling between colds and new teeth, both getting Jenna up at night. Well, unfortunately, Mike and I , well I should say I started some bad habits. I started giving Jenna a bottle to get her back to sleep and even brought her into bed with us at times. Now 3 whole months later, she has become very dependent on this way of getting to sleep. I didn't mind when it was just once during the night, but lately it has been 2 or even 3 times up. So I decided it was time to get tough. I am trying to let Jenna cry it out, which has not made for an easy 2 nights. LAst night she cried (and I mean cried) for 2 hours before I finally gave in and gave her a bottle while rocking her. Now I know this was the wrong thing to do because now I taught her she ccan keep complaining to get her way, but at 3 AM, I don't think logically.

My plan tonight is to take her outside as much as I can during the day to tire her out. Tonight I won't go in the room at all . The last couple of nights I tried patting her, which would calm her for a bit, but then get her angry because I was not picking her up.

Is there anyone that knows any good tricks? I am sure the answer is to stop spoiling her, and it might be a good week of this before things sink in, but it is a lot easier said than done.
By the way, these are a few samples of Jenna's Easter pictures.

7 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! I wish I had some good ideas but I could never handle the crying and Kristen didn't sleep through the night til she was almost 3 - I used to lay on the floor in her room, then would stuff the blanket so it looked like I was there so I could get a few hours in my own bed. I think it's a girl thing. Just remember it's worse when they are out in their own car and you have to wait to hear the front door open to know they are safe at home before you can sleep.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger shannon said...

Ok, last night Jenna slept until 5:15, which was much better. Of course I took her outside at my parents', then again when I got home, and we even went to the park. So I guess I just really need to tire her out!

On another note, I have changed Jenna's first official word. She says juice all the time. Well it is mostly ju, ju, but she knows what she wants.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Shannon - she's getting so big and cuter each day!!
In response to your sleep or lack of...all I can say is GOD BLESS!! Madyson, who just turned 5 at the beginning of the month DID NOT start to sleep through the night until about 6 months ago!! and we still have our moments with her - when she was ready, she was ready!! we actually began a sticker chart for her to earn things and that's how it began to work, but I don't thnk Jenna's old enough for that yet!!! good luck!

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Mom said...

I'm not a good one to give advice on this issue...as I told Shan, since her dad worked 2 jobs when she was born she slept with me for the first year and a half of her life and then Michaelyn was coming along so we had to get her into her "big girl's" bed (but at least I didn't have to worry about getting up for work!).. anyway I know it's hard to listen to her cry and there's no way you're going back to sleep while she's crying but keep trying (you're doing all the "right" things) and this too shall pass, really! As far as her talking, she is amazing!!!! I think she is going to be some chatter box! She's trying to repeat so many words and "ju..ju" is definitely her first official word I agree....today when she realized I was fixing her milk bottle she pointed to her cup saying "ju, ju" while pushing my hand away with the bottle! She definitely gets her point across and understands everything you say to her... Can't believe how fast this year has gone, that Jenna is going to be one and Andrew two!!! It goes too fast so hang in there!

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon, Jenna is adorable. I absolutly love the pictures. What a cute girl. She so looks like her Mommy. Make sure and give her a good squeeze from Auntie Barb. I miss you guys sooo much. As for the crying, I'm with your Mom, you are doing everything right. You are such a good Mom and she will start sleeping thru the night when she's ready. She just doesn't want to miss out on anything..tee hee. Tell everyone to have a Blessed Easter. All my love, Auntie Barb

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger shannon said...

Aunt Barb, my mom showed me the pictures of Logan. Congratulations on your new grandbaby! He is absolutely adorable. He looks like he has beautiful olive skin, and I heard he is a big guy. Give Sara my best!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey where's the new pictures???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home