Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Battle of the Names

Ok, for all those who are counting, we have 51 days to finalize our names. We are set if it is a girl because we have plenty that we agree on. These include Brianna, Kayla, Julia, Ava, Jenna, Adriana Alexa and Ariana. Do you notice a theme? Yes, you probably guessed it, if it ends in an a, we like it. So you see, we can have 10 girls and be ok with names.

However, we have had quite a different experience with boy names. We agree on.... basically none. The main problem is that I like a lot of the newer or trendy names, while Mike likes the traditional male names. Here is what I mean. My names- Aiden, Brennan, Brady, Zachary, Caiden, and Payton. Mike's names- Anthony, Dominic and Damien. Another problem we faced is there were a few names that we liked, but since other family or friends have already used these names (Ryan, Jason, Tyler and Daniel), we were trying to come up with something different. The last problem was in my field I have taught many, many boys. This unfortunately eliminated several names. We have gone through every possible book and list only to come up with a few names that we both like (not love but like). The finalists are Kyle, Joshua and Shawn. The problem is, do we really want to name our son something that we just like.

All in all, we have decided that one benefit of finding out the sex of the baby would have been knowing whether or not we have to agonize over the boy name. We have two things decided though, the middle names. If it is a girl the middle name will be Grace and if it is a boy Joseph.

So now we open up a few questions to all of you? What is your favorite girl name? Do you have ideas for boy names or perhaps you have a favorite of the ones mentioned above?

18 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys.... Obviously you have free time on your hands... Enjoy it ! Free time will soon be a thing of the past, However, you will not miss it at all !!!
Names... It's such a big responsibility put on us as parents. It is something your child will live with forever. Having said that, I agree with Mike. Trendy names sound great right now but what about in 30 years. I like traditional boy names, obviously. "Michael and Daniel" You can't get more traditional than that. For girls, I think you can go a bit more trendy.
My favorite Shannon choice for a boy name would be Aiden and my favorite Mike choice for a boy name would be Anthony. Mike obviously likes the Italian names.
I must tell you that I love Daniel best out of your overall choices and I would love to have another Daniel running around. It's not like we have so many of them. Michael would obviously be overkill. Of your final choices for boy names, I love Shawn.

Girls names... definitely Jenna. I have always loved that name. Although I like all your choices, Jenna is my favorite.

OK guys.. thanks for including me on this. Hope I didn't confuse you more than you already are. Sometimes when you see your baby for the first time it changes everthing anyway. Whatever name you choose, it will be the right one.

Hope to see you soon and hope your feeling great Shan.

Love, Jennie

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the never ending decision of what to name the baby. Isn't it funny how girls names just come so easy and boys names are so hard. Justin and me had the same problem. I had the same problem with knowing so many kids and some names are completely ruined now. I love Aiden for a boy from Shannon's list. I don't have a favorite from Mike's list. I'm sorry. But I feel for you Mike, I wanted Andrew to be named Noah and no one liked it. (Except for Michaelyn I think). I love all the boys names from the joint list though. Except for the spelling of Shawn, I like Sean. Oh, you could name him Sean Preston like Britany. As of for Girls, I love Jenna. But I also like Kayla. Kayla Grace Demarco. Sounds good.
We weren't set on a name even while I was in labor. I wanted to see the baby first and now I love Andrew as a name. So what ever you choose will be the best.

Andrew can't wait to meet his new cousin!! Can you believe only 53 days away! Or on the other note, still 53 days away...errr

Love Jamie

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Joe Joseph DeMarco sounds like a great choice !!!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Janet said...

I've never heard of the name Caiden before.

Payton is nice, but I think of it as more of a girl's name.

Out of your choices I also like Aiden the best. Brennan is good too, but we discussed the downside of this the other day.:) I know traditional also means solid names, but I do tend to like something a little more different than traditional...sorry Mike!

As for girls, I think we all know it would be Jenna although I also really like the combination of Kayla Demarco.:)

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Jamie. No offense, Mike, but the Italian thing would be overkill! :-) Except for "Joe Joseph DeMarco"...that would work well. Seriously, though, I even like Joseph as a first name...not to confuse you more. I also like Aidan, though, as my fave boy name you listed. Aidan Joseph DeMarco sounds really nice.

Now, for girls. I, of course, like Jenna Grace (but, then would you get mad at me if I had a daughter and named her Grace...or Jennie, after Mom?) Things to think about. You could do Jennie Grace and stay more true to the family name? Now, I'm throwing more ideas out there. So, I'd better stop talking/typing, and agree w/ Jamie that once you see the baby you'll know? You could pull a Rachel and not have a name for a while, and then the nametag could say, "Baby D"!!!!!

Alright, enough said. Aunt Michaelyn, out. (A Ryan Seacrest reference...I'm such an American Idol nerd)

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To begin, Shannon did you really compose your statement at 5:55 am (because that's what is says at the bottom of your statement page)?...and if so what this really means is that you finished composing it at 5:55 am which is utterly ridiculous and in the words of Jennie "obviously you have free time on your hands." On to the names:

Boy names
1. Aidan: Wow I couldn't disagree with Michaelyn more (and everyone else), and here's why...if you named your child Aidan Joseph Demarco people would always think that the kids name was Joseph Demarco and he was continually being helped. Further, it sounds like a B movie that I've seen like "Teaching Mrs. Tingle", I can see it now it's a lovely after-school special..."Aidan Joseph Demarco".

2. Peyton: Say it ain't so Shan, say it ain't so. Mike I will appeal to you on this one. If you were to name your child Peyton then every time he was walking heedlessly (as children do I'm sure) and you needed to tell him to avoid walking into something, people will hear, "Wall!...peyton" or "Fence!...peyton". Things to think about.

3. The spelling of Shawn really eats at me. I don't know what it is exactly but I think it's the Africanization of the whole thing--and here's what I mean. Some people (black ones) spell their names fonetickly for instance, Dahntay. Now if you want to stay with this "African vein" of names then there are other options available to you. Sometimes black people will 'jam' two names together and see what happens for instance, Starleasha and Tanjala. (Notice the spelling leAsh--gotta be fonetical). Other times black people just happen to see a word around and use it even if it might not be suitable as a name for instance, Premeer, Knolej, or Justice. I hope that I've helped you in your quest to find an appropriate boy name--if all else fails try something new like a trendy name or maybe you could explore the avenue of Italian names (it seems to me these are two untapped resources in your quest to name a fetus). Good luck and godspeed!--

Uncle Kevin (hey that's a good name) see how easy it is...
Girls names
4. Kayla is a fine choice for an irish setter. Also, it sounds a lot like an Eric Clapton lyric and being a "fun" uncle I'm going to continuously tease her by singing..."Kayla...got me on my knees Kayla...beggin' darling please..."

The end!

Oh wait--the names I like are: Kevin, Michaelyn, and Santa.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness, I just read my hubby's message, and I must apologize for him. Please note that although tone is often left out of e-mails, his is purely a joking one.
That said, one more idea to totally add to your confusion: I was thinking about it, and I realized I like both your definites for middle names as first names. Joseph or Grace...both perfect and both perfect w/ DeMarco. Then, the names you are unsure of would be the middle names anyway, so nothing to worry about. I just figured since you were both set on those, why not have them as first names? I like 'em a lot (spoken w/ a british accent).
Anyway, whatever you decide on will be perfect, and we'll all be happy just to have a beautiful, healthy baby added to the family. Truly, even if you went w/ Dominic (the Donkey) and Kayla (the Irish Setter), we will love the name b/c that's secondary to loving the baby.

ps...Kevin isn't really a racist. He just likes to poke fun at everyone. :-)_

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just checked in to see what others have added and I just have to say " I think Uncle Kevin is absolutely hysterical"!!!! What fun his niece/nephew is going to have with him !!!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger shannon said...

I am loving this site for the pure fact that it is cracking me up (even if most of the jokes are at my expense). Kevin, you will be happy to know that Aiden and Peyton were never going to make it to the top of the list because in seven months my husband's feelings for these names has changed in the least.
As far as the times, they are in western standard time which means I am not as pathetic as 5:30, but rather 8:30.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger shannon said...

Sorry, that should say that Mike's opinion has NOT changed.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW this is hysterical!......Tyler and I are having fun reading everyone's comments (I finally showed him how to do it Shan!), anyway on to names.....actually I think I'll just keep reading everyones choices because you know I'm not opinionated in the least when it comes to names!! (oops, I just remembered when you told me Anthony!!) On another note Shan, dad and I didn't have your name till after you were born and saw you, you were going to be Jason as I was convinced you were a boy, I threw the name Michaelyn out there and dad said, "no too much like Michael" (besides it didn't fit you, see what I mean?) Don't know why he changed his mind two yrs. later though! But it worked, so have faith as you both will figure it out and it will fit Baby D fine! (I just thought of something funny, how Aunt Anna could never remember Shannon, it was always Sharon, and Nanny would sing Shanandoah to herself to remember it!) Love Mom

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not name the baby Joshua cause I have a friend named Joshua, really. If it is a boy you should name it Dale Jr. If you named it that he will get famous. I don't know yet about a girls name. I will let you know when I think of one. Love Tyler

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Janet said...

That's so funny that your mom said how your Aunt Anna always thought of you as a Sharon. My grandmother STILL thinks your name is Sharon. It must be a generational thing.:)

Then again Shannon and Janet, as we discovered, also sound a lot, who knew?

With all of this baby talk watch you go with something COMPLETELY different now.

In fact, how about a Golden Girls baby? You know the name Sophia has been making a come back and God knows the world could always use another Dorothy or Blanche.:)

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny that Susan said that Brianna sounds like a song, that's how we got the name Shannon, if you go back to 1976 the song Shannon (I forget who sang it, Janet ask your mom, she'll know!) was one of the top hits. Better yet (Susan will like this) it ended up being about a dog! (Sorry Shan, dad and i didn't know it at the time) But I still love the name. Sorry don't have any suggestions but I think we are fine cause I am thinking girl!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pathetic....... just pathetic. I can't believe how much idle time people have. What a waste of bandwidth. Hmmm, wait a minute, I sell bandwidth (Cisco you know), so everyone keep sending lots of stuff. In fact, add pictures, video streams, music streams, etc etc. OK, now on to the names, I actually like Cisco. It's gender neutral, will keep people guessing if your child is Italian, Spanish, Puerto Rican and so on, and clearly can be used with the suffix 'kid' (aka Cisco Kid) for many years until the baby has grown to adulthood and then humiliated for the entire rest of his/her life. I think the trendy girls names are cute, so since you're having a hard time there, offer a reasonable compromise..."Briannakaylajuliaavajennaadriannaalexaariana". This flows nicely off the tongue and finishes smoothly with "demarco". Oh, sorry, was sipping some wine just now, was describing that I guess. K, on to boys names, since 'I walk the line' movie is popular right now, have you considered 'Sue'. there is already a song then which could inspire him throughout his life, and of course as people love to do the trendy thing I'm sure there will be a lot of "boys named Sue" within the next five years. Forgot, Mike likes traditional names for boys. So here's some ideas on tradtional. You could name him "Husker", there is certainly a long standing tradition of strength, power, and leadership in that name. And Husker Demarco, that sounds as macho as you can get I think. Beethoven is another very traditional name, however, it is also a dog's name, so if you are thinking of getting a St. Bernard ever in your life you might want to reserve that name for the dog. Napolean is promising, but then of course when you have a large dinner party and call your guests to come have dessert, everyone will be confused if you are calling for your son, or serving the wonderful traditional Italian pastry.(consider: "Everyone, Napolean".) And also, clearly if he grew taller than 4'10", the significance inferred is simply lost.
OK, once again I offer a compromise. Mike likes tradition, you like trendy, how about so combine the two themes (and adopt a stellar suggestion that Kevin identified by combining names as our african american brethren (homies? , or is that us, never can keep up with the jive,or is that jibe? whatever), and you could go with DamienAIdenCaiden ( I would shorten this to DamAchin, which then becomes extremely usefull for him later in life. When he goes to the doctor at age 50, and the Doc say, DamAchin, how you doing, he can respond, "I'm DamAchin" doc. Or you could the trendy first, followed by the traditional, such as Payton Anthony, and again, for convenience, combine and shorten, to, say, Pony.
I've run out of useful and helpful ideas at this point, but before i close, must ask, Shannon, what in the heck is 'western standard time'??????? Is that western hemisphere time? or Greenwich Pacific time (ok, for those of you that don't get that one, Greewich Mean Time, or GMT, is used as the standard clock time to sync commone time references around the world) OK, never mind......

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry everyone, Mike just got back from A.C. (for work, really, he doesn't gamble) and I was revisiting "Battle of the Names" and thought he should add something. (I think he was trying to beat Kevin's comment!)After 31 yrs., you think I would know better! "Baby D" he really does love you, you just have to get to know him!

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, michaelyn has to apologize for Kevin, your mother (in-law for Mike) has to apologize for me, this is good stuff. Shannon, after some serious thought today, I really do have some suggestions... especially for boys. And most are traditional, so Mike would be ccol... How bout Wayne, Mark, Mike, Brian, Adam. Those are very traditional, and very Ranger-esk. If you want a litle more flare, you could go with Pavlo, Darius, Petr (covers the Devils fans as well), or Jaromir.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I heard of the extensive fodder being tossed about over what should be a simple task I had to respond. World Peace difficult, naming a child not-so-much. Why wasn't I consulted. Popular names in these parts for a boy is anything "Bob" Billy-bob, Jim-Bob, Bobby-joe, I think you get my drift. For a girl any dual name combo, Peggy-sue, Mary-Lou. Think of how much fun they will have in school when having to write their names in those boxes. And if you look Mr. FiEEEEchter, like Joe-Joseph, maybe he can move to Virginia where it would be appropriate. Can somebody define for me in a non-racial manner what "africanization" is? And the word is "Phonetically" didn't somebody close to you study English, how about a Dictionary. I know a great idea for a Xmas gift! These are people teaching our children, now that's farcical. The suggestion of Cisco, just imagine he or she will at some point have an identity crisis,with a non-gender specific name. Or let's not even go down the road of innuendoes for a child named Cisco and the rapper Sisqo and the "thong" song. Domenick? how about Vito, and maybe we can get him a thick gold rope and a pinky ring for his 1st birthday and then consider relocating to Brooklyn. Damien? doesn't anybody recall the "Exorcist" nothing good can come of it. No offense to anyone with a common name, it wasn't your fault, it was given to you. No need to propagate the tried and true. Chart your course in life as an original! For those AI fans (american idol-artificial intelligence) ironically both are AI, I'd like to think not, how about a girl named "Mandisa" or a boy named "Ace". And I'm out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home